• Did you know you can book me to speak at your college or corporate event? It's true! I have a masters degree in education and a wealth of experience as a comedian, activist, actress, and public speaker. I can talk to your group about mental health, women's empowerment, creativity, politics, sexuality, and more. Email Sean Lawton at email@example.com.
• I love teaching (my first career!) editing and coaching for adolescents and adults. We can work in person in the Los Angeles area or via Skype/email. Check out my info and email firstname.lastname@example.org for rates.
• I was thrilled to get to interview Sarah Silverman for the October/November 2017 issue of BUST magazine.
• Here's a story I wrote on Eater.com about a date that could've gone bad but ended up being great because of some heroic waiters and bartenders.
• My essay "Why Am I So Fat?" racked up over half a million views in just a few days. It prompted responses from, among others, Shannon M. Houston at Paste ("Freeing the Female Form: On Teyana Taylor, Sara Benincasa, and the Burkini Ban") and John August and Craig Mazin at Scriptnotes. Feel free to check it out, and then read my follow-up essay, "What We Talk About When We Talk About 'Fat'." Thanks to everybody who has read it and shared it with somebody it might help in some way.
• My fifth book, TIM KAINE IS YOUR NICE DAD, is an Amazon bestseller. Half the proceeds will be donated to Great Expectations, a Virginia nonprofit that helps kids in foster care transition to community college and work.
• My fourth book was published April 2016. REAL ARTISTS HAVE DAY JOBS.
• DC TRIP WILL BE A FILM. I wrote the screenplay in conjunction with Adaptive Studios, Bona Fide Productions, and Gunpowder & Sky.
• Order my raunchy novel DC TRIP from Adaptive Books. Library Journal calls it "a fantastic add to fiction collections."
• "Comedian, author, and internet hero Sara Benincasa" - Buzzfeed
• Buzzfeed named GREAT one of 15 YA Novels To Watch Out For This Spring.
• Teen Vogue named GREAT one of The 15 Most Exciting YA Books Coming Out This Year. "A contemporary retelling of The Great Gatsby, this clever read...is steeped in scandal, drama, and undeniable page-turning appeal."
• Flavorwire named me one of 25 Female Comedians Everyone Should Know. I'm in pretty kickass company.
• Publisher's Weekly calls my memoir, Agorafabulous!, "funny and unflinchingly honest" and Kirkus Reviews says it's "a blisteringly funny yet affecting debut memoir...fabulously quirky and outrageous." Read more!
"Utterly Hilarious" |
"Delightfully loopy" |
"Freaking hilarious" |
Sara Benincasa is a stand-up comedian, actress, college speaker on mental health awareness, and the author of "Real Artists Have Day Jobs" (William Morrow 2016); "DC Trip" (Adaptive 2015); "Great" (HarperTeen 2014); and "Agorafabulous!: Dispatches From My Bedroom" (William Morrow 2012). She also wrote a very silly joke book called "Tim Kaine Is Your Nice Dad." In 2017, she adapted "DC Trip" as a screenplay with Bona Fide, Gunpowder & Sky, and Adaptive Studios. She also adapted "Agorafabulous" as a pilot for TV with Academy Award-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody. Recent roles include "Corporate" on Comedy Central (2018), "Bill Nye Saves The World"" on Netflix (2017), "The Jim Gaffigan Show" on TVLand (2016) and the critically acclaimed short film "The Focus Group" (2016), which she also wrote. read more